Whether you are a first time landlord or a landlord with several properties we will look after you at every stage providing you with honest, straightforward advice.
With over 30 years’ experience and landlords ourselves we understand that letting a property is so much more than just receiving the rental money. It is a balance between:
- Finding a tenant that will look after your property as if it was theirs
- Finding a tenant who can pass the referencing process so a) you know they have no ‘hidden skeletons in the closet’ and b) are financially able to afford the rent, and
- Having an agent that actually cares about your property and not just their income!
As a friendly, family run business we think we have the balance just right. We work hard, enjoy the rapport we have established between our clients and customers, act professionally yet with a sense of humour and because it is our business we are available when we need to be. We have taken calls at 3am in the morning from tenants however we’d prefer to keep this to a minimum!
When we started this business we were and still are passionate about ensuring we can guarantee to our landlords and tenants that their money is safe with us. We were the first local agent to become a licensed agent of the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA), are part of the National Federation of Property Professionals Client Money Protection Scheme and also members of the Property Redress Scheme - all there to protect and reassure you.
We believe in providing a great service at a fair price. As an independent agency we can provide a service which fits in with what you prefer.
- As you’d expect from one of the leading local agents you will receive unrivalled coverage via Right Move, Zoopla, Prime Location, The Argus, SussexLife.co.uk, LatestHomes.co.uk, The Times, Telegraph, London Evening Standard, The Independent, Aol, Mail online and homes24.co.uk.
- We also advertise in the Argus, the Rottingdean Village News, The Deans, Peacehaven Directory, the Property News and when appropriate the Portfolio magazine.
- Our bright and welcoming office along with our distinctive boards and colour property leaflets (with measurements) ensures your property will receive the interest it deserves and of course we only get paid once the tenant has moved in, we never charge any upfront costs.
- Unsuitable applicants are ‘screened out’ at the initial contact stage
- All viewings are accompanied by us when required
- All interested applicants complete an application form
- Details of suitable applicants are given to the landlord for consideration
- Once approval has been obtained from the landlord, references are applied for
- Full references, including credit checks, photo ID and proof of current address are required for all tenants
- We ask for guarantors where necessary. They are referenced in the same way as the tenants
- We can also arrange rent guarantee cover
Inventory & schedule of condition
- We can arrange for a detailed inventory & schedule of condition
- We recommend this for efficient management of the property and to avoid any disputes at the end of the tenancy
- Instruction leaflets for appliances should be provided wherever possible
- Enables us to have a signed copy at the very start of the tenancy
- Enables us to answer any questions the tenants have about the property
- We usually take a deposit equal to 6 weeks of the rent
- It is a legal requirement to register the tenants’ deposit with a Government approved scheme – We can arrange this on your behalf
- There are strict requirements regarding the handling of the tenant’s deposit at the beginning and end of the tenancy
Rent Recovery Protection
- We can provide information on a policy specifically designed for landlords which covers:
- Rent guarantee, and
- Legal Expenses
- For efficient management of the property
- To minimize the risk of problems developing
- To check tenants have understood their responsibilities with regard to the property and their tenancy
- Written reports are sent to the landlord
- To meet the tenants at the property at the end of the tenancy
- The original signed inventory & schedule of condition is checked against the condition of the property at the end of the tenancy
- Any differences are listed
- Once we have the detailed list we decide which items are considered to be ‘fair wear & tear’ and which are chargeable to the tenants
- We then discuss the chargeable items with the landlord and decide on how much should be deducted from the tenants’ deposit
- We deal with all the necessary administration work connected with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme and return of the deposit
Gas, Carbon Monoxide and Fire Safety
- It is a legal requirement to provide a current Landlord’s Gas Safety certificate
- This has to be checked once a year and a new certificate provided
- It is advisable to have the boiler serviced at the same time
- A carbon monoxide (CO) detector must be fitted in each room where there is a solid fuel burner. We would recommend a CO detector is installed in each room that houses a gas appliance or boiler
- Smoke detectors must be fitted to each floor of the property
- We can arrange these services on your behalf
- The landlord has a ‘duty of safety’ towards the tenants. So it is recommended that a ‘Periodic Electrical Installation Inspection’ is carried out by a qualified electrician before a property is let, especially if the electrics have not been checked for some time
- It is recommended that all portable electrical appliances left in the property be tested for safety on an annual basis (PAT tested)
- We can arrange for a qualified electrician to carry out the above
- If the property is let with furniture, any soft furnishings need to comply with Fire Safety Regulations
- It should be borne in mind that furniture can be a source of disagreement between landlord & tenant if it gets damaged or deteriorates during the tenancy
- Also the landlord’s furniture may not be to the tenants’ taste
- These days it is usual for kitchen appliances, carpets and curtains or blinds to be provided
- Do not leave anything valuable, or that you are emotionally attached to, at the property
- The landlord has a ‘duty of safety’ towards the tenants
- The property should be checked thoroughly for any possible safety issues before it is let
Energy Performance Certificates
- It is a legal requirement for a property to have an Energy Performance Certificate instructed when it comes onto the market. Tenants must be provided with a copy at the time they express an interest in the property
- We can arrange this with a qualified Energy Assessor
- Energy Performance Certificates are valid for 10 years
Repairs & maintenance
- We have a selection of contractors we use on a regular basis
- Repairs & maintenance can be arranged on your behalf with our contractors
- If you prefer we can arrange with your own contractors
- Alternatively we can refer all repairs & maintenance to you to arrange
Decoration, fittings and appliances
- To maximize rent level and the letting of your property as quickly as possible we recommend neutral décor
- Flooring of wood or wood laminate, and of tiles is popular with tenants at the present time
- Fittings should be of a good or reasonable quality and hard wearing
- Contemporary style appliances are popular
- If you have a garden that needs maintenance, (although the tenants are responsible), it is sometimes worth considering arranging for a gardener on a regular basis.
Charges & Fees
Tenant Find fee - 2.5 weeks of the monthly rent (minimum charge £375) (+ VAT)
Rent Collect service - 8% of the monthly rent (+ VAT)
Fully Managed service - 10% of the monthly rent (+ VAT)
Additional Charges - Inclusive of VAT
Tenancy set up fee - £114
For preparing the Memorandum of Agreement or other suitable document setting out the terms of any renewal or extension of the Tenancy a fee of £84
End of tenancy and check out fee - £100
Visits to the property made at the request of the Landlord by the Agent will be charged additionally at the rate of £48.00 for each occasion.
Rent Recovery Plus policy - 6 or 12 months cover available. Please contact the office as the cost is dependent on the rent achieved.
We would naturally be delighted to offer our services to you and would love the opportunity of providing you with a free no obligation valuation. We promise we will not continually hassle you once we’ve visited!
- 2 bedrooms
* fees apply
- 2 bedroom Semi Detached Bungalow in R...
A nicely presented 2 bedroom semi detached bungalow on level ground in the sought after seaside village of Rottingdean.The bung...
- 3 bedrooms
* fees apply
- 3 bedroom Semi Detached House in Wood...
Comptons Sales & Lettings are pleased to offer this beautiful, deceptively spacious 3 bedroom chalet bungalow. This furnished ...
- 3 bedrooms
* fees apply
- 3 bedroom Detached House in Ovingdean
Comptons Sales & Lettings are pleased to offer this delightful 3 bedroom detached residence in the picturesque village of Oving...
- 2 bedrooms
* fees apply
- 2 bedroom First Floor Flat in Peacehaven
Comptons Sales & Lettings are delighted to offer this good size 2 double bedroom first floor flat. Situated in a convenient lo...
- 3 bedrooms
* fees apply
- 3 bedroom End of Terrace House in Sal...
Comptons Sales & Lettings are pleased to be able to offer this attractive 3 bedroom house situated in a sought after location. ...